Friday, April 20, 2012

Too Excited to Sleep

Sometimes I'm too excited to sleep. There's so much on my mind that I cannot possibly get it to rest. This happens when I have a lot to do or if work is on my mind. I continue thinking and thinking. I presume this happens to you too.
My friend Ayala and I used to joke about not being able to sleep the night before a big trip. Before we departed Israel (when we were in seminary), we packed through the night. When it was finally time to go to sleep, neither of us could fall asleep. I turned to her in the dark quiet room and said, "Stop thinking." She asked me, "How did you know?"
I think it's completely normal to need time to wind down before falling asleep. Our minds are racing and I'm sure there's some kind of psychological term for this. I, of course, do not know what that term is. But I know that this is normal.
Still I was surprised when my 6 1/2-year-old daughter said to me tonight, "Mommy, I'm too excited to sleep." I asked her "Why?" Her answer was, "My new shoes came and I'm very excited."
I thought that was just the most adorable thing in the world. She was anxious because tomorrow she would be able to wear new shoes! Firstly it's so innocent and simple. Secondly, I think it is a mature response-she knows her mind is racing despite the fact that she should be sleeping.
*Now, if only the cause of my inability to sleep was new shoes! Boy, wouldn't that make me happy?*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Come again!